Here are my top 10 movies of 2020!!
10. Tremors: Shrieker Island - The Graboids are back along with their Shrieker brethren and it's up to Burt Hummer to come out of retirement and put down the menace once and for all.
9. The Lodge - An estranged step mother and two step children are left in an isolated lodge and madness descends upon them
8. Wolf of Snow Hollow - A killer werewolf ravages through a small town and it's up to a stressed out cop to stop the killings at their source
7. Relic - An elderly woman with dementia goes missing and it's up to her daughter and granddaughter to try to find her. She inexplicably returns changed
6. Host - A group of woman conduct a seance during a Zoom call and discover something was listening in.
5. Sputnik - A Russian horror about an astronaut who returns from a space mission but does not return alone as he is a host for an alien. A very good film that definitely pays a bit of a homage to Alien.
4. VFW - Veterans must defend their local VFW from a gang of druggies when a girl runs to their post for safety. A very gory and fun affair.
3. Underwater - An team in an oil rig find themselves facing against Lovecraftian horrors that were unearthed from a dig.
2. The Dark and the Wicked - A brother and sister come home to help their mother with their ailing father and do not heed her warnings to stay away. A film that will stay in your nightmares for days.
1. Colour Out of Space - No surprise here as this film which is about a meteorite that falls from space and starts changing everything around it is such a great adaptation. You get to see Nick Cage at his Cageist and this movie will stay with you long after it is over.
I have two honorable mentions:
Snatchers - a horror comedy about a teen girl who had unprotected sex and ends up pregnant with an alien. Snatchers is very much full of many double entendres and scenes that will make you laugh and barf at the same time.
Creepshow Halloween and Holiday Specials - Because of the pandemic, Season 2 was delayed, so we were given two specials to wet our palates instead. The Halloween special was animated and featured two stories " Survivor Type" and "Twittering From The Circus of the Dead". Both were based on stories from the King family, father and son, and both were able to elicit dread just from narration alone. The Holiday Special was a goofy story called "Shapeshifter's Anonymous" and presented a different take on the myth of Santa Claus
So that official wraps up 2020 for the Gruesome Gazette!! What are some of your favorite movies you watched that released in 2020? Let us know in the comments below or you can give us your thoughts on the movies we listed.
Till next year, stay safe and stay scared!! -Tha Thrilla-